Перейти к содержанию

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Sweetheart Pin

Если коротко, то носили родственники, подружки военных, чтобы показать другим, что их любимые на войне. Цены разные, ибо количество их было огромно и качество исполнения - различно.

http://www.thegavel.net/1299mil.html

OH SWEETHEART OF MINE

by Marie Brown

World War II Sweetheart collectibles brought happiness and hope to so many during a time of turmoil for our country. With wartime rationing and a lack of luxuries, sweetheart items compensated for other things that were not allowed. Sweetheart items were considered an acceptable luxury of the time. Fond momentoes of loved ones afar filled many hearts with hope. Every soldier who went off to war seemed to leave someone behind on the home front. While soldiers had their struggles civilians struggled to get by as well. These tokens of love became a way of staying connected while being so far apart. A bracelet sent to a girlfriend, a pillow cover to a mother, a picture to a wife seemed to make things a little more bearable.

Sweetheart collecting has been on a major rise the last few years. It has gone from being a very reasonably priced collectible to a very pricey one in a short period of time. Several factors have affected the sweetheart market in the last few years. The increase in public awareness due to some excellent reference books that have been published brought to light the collecting possibilities. The market availability has greatly increased due to the passing on of those who lived through that period. Sweetheart collectibles represented to them a time of sacrifice, patriotism, and accomplishment. As this generation passes on, more and more of those treasured momentoes tucked in draws, chests and jewelry boxes keep showing up on the market. In a sense, those who are collecting sweetheart jewelry today are continuing an American tradition and keeping alive a part of our history of the home front at war.

With the increase of collectors the price structure has also increased. Items that could be bought for only a few dollars ten years ago have risen into the $35.00 and up range. I personally do not feel that the market has by any means reached its peak and leveled off; instead I feel that it will take some time before it reaches its maximum potential value wise. A word to the wise, if you want to start collecting sweetheart items, don't wait, because the prices are not going down.

Sweetheart Jewelry is probably the most sought after sweetheart collectible. Due to the amazing amount of items available one finds it hard to limit a collection to just one type or style. You have bracelets, rings, necklaces, pendants, lockets, earrings, you name it. Sweetheart Jewelry is basically broken into two major classifications, the first being that which was commercially made and generally speaking mass-produced. The second being that which was handmade by GI’s or loved ones themselves, which are considered one-of-a-kind pieces, and command a premium. From this point of classification, you then break down into the item categories and from there, which branch of the service the item represents. Victory items and Remember PEARL HARBOR fall into their own categories as well as IN SERVICE pins. These items are made from all types of materials from plastic, wood, sterling and gold to just about any material on earth that was available.

Bracelets are abundant in both classifications, commercial and handmade. The most common item found among bracelets are the link bracelets, an idea basically stemming from a 1930’s fad. These bracelets include charm bracelets, ID bracelets, and military branch ID bracelets. Uncommon bracelets are the more ornate, usually found in gold with enameling and real stones. Among handmade bracelets, coin bracelets are the most common. Coin bracelets consist of coins, usually foreign, that have been in some way made into or hooked to a link bracelet. Uncommon in this category is trench art bracelets made from shells, etc. that were made by the GI’s. Other bracelets in this category are ones that are made with actual military insignia such as divisional insignia, wings, medals and buttons. Cuff bracelets are not so common among bracelets, Lucite and Bakelite being the most desirable. Flex bracelets very similar to watch bands are not all that uncommon and these were to my knowledge all commercially made.

Pins were mass-produced by the thousands and the varieties seem limitless. These pins range in style from very plain and simple to very elaborate and ornate, and are made from every material possible. Commercially these pins were mass-produced due to the fact they were small and the material requirement was not enormous. The most common pins are those that have the American eagle with the shield; the eagle in one way or another was used by each branch of the military and generally represents the American military. Many pins were made for mothers, sisters, wives, and girlfriends. Enameled pins and plastic figural pins are among some of the most desirable ones sought by collectors. Figural pins are one of my personal favorites; these pins can be in the shape of a hat, helmet, soldier, tank, etc. The sterling and gold ones rate pretty high with most collectors as well. The other thing collectors look for in commercial pins are the card they were sold on. Believe me, these make a difference. Chain pins are common and these were, generally speaking, a mass-produced pin.

Handmade pins have shown up in many forms carved wooden soldiers, trench art drums, mother of pearl anchors and cloth American flags. The American people for the most part were pretty creative and made some fantastic items. Some collectors steer away from handmade pins, I guess mostly because a lot of them do not have the glitz and glamour of the commercial pins.

Lockets, necklaces and pendants were always popular because they were worn close to the heart. Lockets were especially treasured because they held photos. Lockets can be found in a variety of shapes and sizes. The most common shaped locket is the heart followed by the regular shaped oval locket. The more uncommon shapes are the book lockets and the hat lockets. Locket pins are less common than regular chain lockets. Those most prized by collectors are the figural lockets made from precious metals and containing real stones. Hand made lockets themselves are quite rare, however hand decorated lockets are very common and it is important to realize the difference when looking at lockets. Pendants range from a simple military insignia hanging from a chain to dogtags and anchors. Uncommon pendants include trench-art pendants, and actual GI made pendants.

Remember Pearl Harbor items represent a time of great loss and sorrow for our country, however some fantastic pieces of jewelry have been created to keep the memories alive. The most desirable Pearl Harbor pins contain a pearl. These items remind us to this day of one of the most horrifying events in U.S. history. These pins were also responsible for promoting the sale of war bonds as the American effort pushed forward on another front. Although these pins are not uncommon it is kind of fun to find them.

Victory Pins are for the most part extremely common, but some of the most beautiful. Pin back Victory buttons and Plain Jane V pins are extremely common. Elaborate enameled, rhinestone, real stone, and ones that contain figural items are not so common. Victory pins made from trench art and bullets are not so easily found. The penny pins with applied V's are common. Value for these pins depends on First-overall appearance, Second-material of which it is made and what it contains, and Third-the maker.

Service pins are the most common pins of WWII. These are the typical rectangular pins that you see everywhere; they are generally a red border with a white background that contains a blue star. The star represents a person serving in the military. These pins could be worn by anyone who had or knew of someone serving in the military. The thing to keep your eyes open for when looking for these, are the pins with four or more stars, the more stars the more uncommon the pin. These pins were generally a parent’s pin and the stars represented the number of children serving in the military. These pins represented a strong significance in the movie “SAVING PRIVATE RYAN”. Even more uncommon are the pins with black borders and gold stars. I was told by someone who lived the era these were mourning pins and represented the lost family member. These pins represent a sense of pride among Americans.

Compacts are my personal favorite. The elaborate detail these little cases have is amazing. There are many different styles associated with compacts: heart shaped, circular, square, purse shaped and figural cover the majority of styles. These range in size from small slip-it-in-your-purse size to full real-purse size. The compacts generally have some type of military insignia on them, whether it be a branch of the military or a specific division within a branch. These compacts are made of all types of materials, the most common being a base metal that is plated with silver or gold. Some examples of handmade ones have been found but they are few and far between, however the hand decorated ones are easily found. The hand-decorated compacts are usually an older compact that has had military insignia or divisional insignia attached to them. One of the funniest types of compacts are the head gear compacts. These are in the shape of a hat or a helmet and are available for every branch of the service. One of the most difficult to find, but highly desired in the headgear compacts, are those in sterling. I have seen only one in the past nine years and have regretted that day ever since. It was in a local NH Lakes Region shop and it was $75 with the dealer discount. A friend of mine was there at the time and her exact words: “That is way too much money for that, you see those everywhere.” Being a little green in the field, and she with much more knowledge then me, I passed. I would hate to tell how many shops and military shows I have scoured ever since and have not found another, and suprisingly enough, neither has she. This just proves that sometimes instinct is your best guide. By the way, one of the most common compact type items that is constantly mistaken for a candy container is an amber glass army hat powder jar. Most of these that you see in shops or at shows are missing the round mirror on the top of the hat and are therefore commonly mistaken for a candy container.

Sweetheart jewelry has a very wide-ranging price structure and a lot of values are still being set. There are two really good price guides on the market and both have been written by Nick Snider who is one of the leading experts on sweetheart jewelry and collectibles. Mr. Snider’s books “SWEETHEART jewelry and collectibles” and “AMERICAN sweetheart jewelry” are both available through SCHIFFER BOOKS. Each book is $29.95 and is in softcover; both have excellent photographs and information. You can order these books online at www.schifferbooks.com or write to them at Schiffer Publishing, LTD. 77 Lower Valley Road, Atglen, PA 19310. Sweetheart Jewelry is everywhere if you know what to look for, from consignment shops, auctions-EBAY included, to full-scale large military shows.

There are so many sweetheart items out there, and although I have basically just covered WWII period U.S. sweetheart jewelry, there are just as many nice pieces from previous wars and other countries. Not to mention pillow covers, postcards, photo holders, handkerchiefs and who knows what else. If you have questions or comments about sweetheart jewelry or this article feel free to contact me - Marie Brown, PO Box 216, W. Ossipee, NH. 03890.

Для публикации сообщений создайте учётную запись или авторизуйтесь

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать учетную запись

Зарегистрируйте новую учётную запись в нашем сообществе. Это очень просто!

Регистрация нового пользователя

Войти

Уже есть аккаунт? Войти в систему.

Войти
  • Создать...